By Hindustan Times
Her weak comeback in 2007 with Aaja Nachle seems to have taught her some hard lessons. That's probably why Madhuri Dixit has re-strategised her career post her return to India. And what's that strategy? The lady shared it recently on Twitter: "Am trying to explore new roles and do different types of films for you. Want to challenge myself as an actor! Having fun, and you?"
We believe the actress, after she signed the sequel to Ishqiya - a brand that Vidya established with her power-packed performance. We begin to understand the kind of roles the actor is planning to take on after she signed on Anubhav Sinha's Gulab Gang, where she's playing a gangster for the first time in her career.
Anubhav Sinha confirmed to PTI that Madhuri is excited to do the movie. "It was not a sudden development though. I have been in touch with Madhuri for two-three months now and from the very first meeting, I could see that there was a very strong desire in her to do the film. After she returned from the US and announced her decision to make Mumbai as her base, our talks took concrete shape. Today as things have worked out really well, Madhuri is very excited to get going," Sinha said.
And Madhuri is unabashed about the fact that she's planning to do powerful roles that leave an impression. She has also hinted that she'd sign more such films in the coming days.
"I think you will be thrilled with the roles. They are powerful, moving and will leave an impression! More films to come.....," said Madhuri in one of her tweets.
Offers started to pour in for Madhuri after she announced her intention to shift her base back to India. The actress took her own time in selecting the right projects though. It is to be recalled that Madhuri turned down the role of Sonam Kapoor's mom in a film, making it clear that she still intended to do lead roles. The actress also refused Rajinikanth's Rana where she had to share the screenspace with Deepika Padukone.
"Would have loved to do a film with Rajnikant, but the role was that of his sister...need to wait for the right role," she tweeted at that time.
Madhuri Dixit is not only only open to new ideas but also to new directors. She certainly is not giving in to the lure of commercial cinema in her second innings.
She said in one of her interviews: "My fans are looking forward to an entertaining film from me. But then I am looking forward to a good script. I do not mind if it is a new director with new ideas. I want to enjoy the character and the role."
Here's some aces that the diva has recently scored:
1) A strong social network: Apart from launching her website http://madhuridixit-nene.com/, the actress built a strong presence in social networking platforms like Facebook and Twitter. The diva keeps us updated about her latest projects.
2) Got waxed in Madame Tussauds: The actress got immortalised in wax recently at the prestigious Madame Tussauds museum.
3) Deenanath Mangeshkar Award: The actress received the ‘Master Deenanath Vishesh’ award for contribution to Indian cinema.
4) Raj Kapoor award: Madhuri is also nominated to receive the Raj Kapoor Special Contribution Award-2012.
In her second innings, Madhuri has not restricted herself to just film world, she's also making her presence felt in television space. Besides being the face of Life Ok, the actress is also judging dance show Jhalak Dikhla Jaa for the second time.
Madhuri at Madame Tussauds
She's all over endorsement world too:
1) Oral-B: Oral-B has approached Madhuri to be their brand ambassador because, they think that her smile has the potential to grab the attention of viewers and attract them to their dental health brand.
2) Neesa: The actress is also the face of basmati rice brand Neesa.
3) Comfort fabric conditioner: Madhuri Dixit has followed in the footsteps of actresses like Kajol, Juhi Chawla who started endorsing household products post marriage.
4) X-pert: Madhuri Dixit played Gangu Bai in X-pert dishwash commercial.
5) Olay: The Dhak-Dhak girl Madhuri Dixit was also roped in as the brand ambassador of Olay Regenerist.
A dash of controversy
Maharashtra goverment had approached actor Madhuri Dixit to be the state's brand ambassador, but had to take a step back when she demanded a whopping Rs. 10 crore. The actress has been getting flak for this move.
The brand Madhuri Dixit, however, continues to go strong as filmmakers are writing roles of substance for the glam diva of 80s and 90s. As she celebrates her 45th birthday today, we welcome her back to our hearts!