Shah Rukh vs MCA: Police still waiting for CCTV footage of fracas


By Hindustan Times

The Shah Rukh Khan-Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) row might continue to rage, but the police complaint registered against the Bollywood icon is as good as closed. What is more, a day after the Wankhede showdown, police are still waiting for the MCA to provide the CCTV footage of the altercation.

On Wednesday, Khan who is the co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders allegedly got into a fracas with MCA officials and security personnel after an Indian Premier League match with Mumbai Indians.

Soon after the incident, Ravi Sawant, treasurer, MCA filed a written complaint with the Marine Drive police. On Thursday the police recorded statements of Vikas Dalvi, the security guard who was allegedly manhandled by the actor and Nitin Dalal, joint secretary of MCA, and lodged a non-cognisable complaint under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code. Khan and his three associates were booked on charges of voluntarily causing hurt and intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace, police said.

Mumbai deputy commissioner of police (crime) Nisar Tamboli, who is also the police spokesperson, told HT on Friday police would require a court permission if they had to investigate a non-cognisable complaint. He added it was the prerogative of the local police station to decide whether it would approach the court for permission.

Police sources said the complainant in the case could also approach the court seeking direction to go ahead with the probe. The investigators, however, stated that it would be too early to speculate.

Top police officials stated that there was little scope for further enquiry. Tamboli said, “We have recorded the statements (of all concerned).”

Police are also yet to take a call on whether Khan would be summoned to the Marine Drive police station to record his statement or not.

"Usually, in non-cognisable offences, it is not compulsory to summon the person who was booked," said an officer.