Cannes Diary 2008: Day 1
By Tanuj Garg (from Cannes), Bollywood Hungama News Network
A lot is happening on the world cinema and Hollywood front at Cannes 2008, but a few quick pointers on what Day 1 held for the Indian film community specifically:
* The market was largely sluggish but many expect the second day to witness a pick-up in the business.
* Santosh Sivan's Tahan featuring Rahul Bose and Rahul Khanna among others, and Jag Mundhra's Shoot On Sight with Naseeruddin Shah and Om Puri were screened at the market.
* The big boys exhibiting this year are UTV, Eros, Indian Films-Studio 18, and new player, Reliance ADAG. Shemaroo is around as well promoting their animation feature, Ghatothkach.
* Eros' front-running products on display include Sunday, Sarkar Raj, U Me Aur Hum, Bhoothnath and Om Shanti Om, among others, while UTV's Cannes advertising stresses on Taare Zameen Par, Race and Jodhaa Akbar. Indian Films-Studio 18 are promoting Jab We Met, Welcome, Singh Is Kinng, Kidnap and Golmaal Returns, to name a few.
* From the teaser poster of Singh Is Kinng presently doing the rounds on the net (featuring a clean-shaven turbaned Akshay Kumar), Indian Films-Studio 18 unveiled an attractive creative of the Vipul Shah-produced film, featuring a bearded macho-looking Akshay holding Katrina, clad in a dazzling skin-hugging orange gown.
* Dev Anand's 1960's classic Guide is set to glow at the Festival's Classic section, and the legend is likely to visit the palm-lined town of South France to celebrate the occasion
* From the Asian markets, India and China, in this order, have the largest presence at Cannes 2008. India and China are followed by Japan and Korea.
(Media and international business expert, Tanuj Garg, will do an honorary Cannes 2008 diary for Bollywood Hungama. This will feature periodic updates on the mood and the action on The Croisette over the next fortnight. Tanuj is currently Marketing & Distribution Head for the UK & Europe at Studio 18)