By Hindustan Times
Yash Chopra not only explored romance in various hues, he also gave image-makeover to actors such as Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan, and actresses like Rekha and Sridevi. He also made the narrative beautiful via exotic locations.
Music was another high-point of his larger-than-life canvas. In nutshell, he touched upon various aspects of cinema and turned them into gold with his midas touch.
Here's remembering the best of Yash Chopra:
TOP 5 HEROINES
2. Katrina Kaif
4. Madhuri Dixit
5. Juhi Chawla
TOP 5 LOCATIONS
4. The Netherlands - Dekha Ek Khwaab from Silsila
TOP 5 FILMS (We got a top 10 here instead, it's just not possible to scrunch the tally here!)
5. Kabhi Kabhie
TOP 5 HEROES
1. Shah Rukh Khan
2. Amitabh Bachchan
3. Anil Kapoor
4. Rishi Kapoor
5. Rajesh Khanna
TOP 5 HIGH POINTS
1. Made his directorial debut with Dhool Ka Phool in 1959.
2. Established Amitabh Bachchan as angry young man with Deewar in 1975.
3. Dil To Pagal Hai (1998) and Veer-Zaara (2005) won him the national film award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment.
4. Yash Chopra got Padma Bhushan in 2005.
5. Yash Chopra is also the recipient of France's highest civilian honour, Legion of Honour.
TOP 5 LOW POINTS
1. In eighties, Yash Chopra gave several flops such as Silsila (1981), Mashaal (1984) and Vijay (1988).
2. Chopra's Lamhe was considered to be his best work, but couldn't work commercially. The film collected moolah in overseas though.
3. After Silsila, Yash Chopra and Amitabh Bachchan apparently fell out and reconciled with Mohabbatein.
4. In 1973, the Chopra brothers (BR and Yash) separated and Yash set up his own production house Yash Raj Films.
5. His film Faasle (1985) was panned by critics for bad storyline and editing.
TOP 5 SONGS
1. Rang Barse (Silsila)
2. Rang Bhare Badal (Chandni)
3. Morni (Lamhe)
4. Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein (Kabhi Kabhie)
5. Tu Hai Meri Kiran (Darr)
TOP 5 JODIS
1. Amitabh Bachchan-Rekha
3. Rishi Kapoor-Sridevi
4. Sridevi-Anil Kapoor
TOP 5 SCENES
1. Mere Paas Maan Hai - Deewar
2. When Rishi Kapoor fakes a fight with Sridevi to get her out of his life - Chandni
3. When SRK comes to know that Juhi Chawla is getting married to Sunny Deol - Darr
4. When Amitabh Bachchan tells Rakhee that he has stopped writing books after Kabhi Kabhie - Kabhi Kabhie
5. When Amitabh Bachchan confronts Sanjeev Kumar and reveals to him that he's his son - Trishul
TOP 5 GENRES
1. Social-dramas such as Waqt, Dhool Ka Phool and Dharmputra
2. Romantic films such as Silsila, Dil To Paagal Hai and Veer Zaara
3. Action films such as Deewar and Trishul
4. Suspense movies such as Ittefaq
5. Experimental films such as Lamhe