The Bombay high court on Tuesday questioned the extension of parole to Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who has been convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, while hearing a public interest litigation questioning the discretion used by authorities in granting parole and furlough to him, reports said.
Dutt has been out on parole since December 21 last year and was supposed to return to Pune's Yerawada Jail in Pune on February 21. His parole was extended again till March 21 on his request to be with his unwell wife Manyata and his children.
"What is the point of rules and regulations if a convict can enjoy 105 days outside the jail?" the court asked.
The HC also asked for all papers on the basis of which Dutt has been granted an extension, reports said.
The court's observation comes a day after the Union home ministry asked the Maharashtra government to explain the special privilege being accorded to the 54-year-old actor who has got parole thrice in the nine months he has been in jail.
Dutt was convicted by the Supreme Court for illegal possession of arms and was sentenced to six years of imprisonment. He had earlier served 18 months in jail. He surrendered before a Mumbai court in May to serve the remaining term.
The actor came out on a 30-day parole on December 21, 2013 after his wife claimed to be ill.
According to reports, Manyata was diagnosed with a tumour in the liver as well as a heart ailment and was admitted to a Mumbai hospital.
The actor has also availed of 15 days leave of furlough, extending it further by another fortnight in October on medical grounds.