Mumbai, Nov. 1 -- The men in Bollywood have beaten up goons, blown up cars and indulged in all sorts of heavy-duty stunts. But now, they seem to have competition from their leading ladies. Not content with playing demure characters, actresses are now taking up more and more action-packed roles.
So don't be surprised to see female stars like Madhuri Dixit, Kangana Ranaut, Rani Mukerji, Katrina Kaif and Priyanka Chopra kicking and punching on screen.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh says, "Meatier roles are being written for female actors. If the storyline is convincing, these actors will be accepted in action roles."
1. Madhuri Dixit Madhuri said in an interview to news agency IANS that she has "done action for the first time (in Gulaab Gang). It is tough to do it, but I am a tough person and I enjoyed it." For the Soumik Sen directed film, she apparently trained under Shaolin master Shifu Kanishka Sharma, for four hours daily over three weeks. It has also been reported that Madhuri did most of the action sequences herself.
2. Katrina Kaif For her role as an acrobat in Dhoom:3, Katrina trained for four-five hours daily for six months. She did a mix of martial arts, gymnastics and Parkour. In Bang Bang, too, she apparently intends to do all the stunts herself.
3. Rani Mukerji Physical trainer Samir Jaura, who is working with Rani for Pradeep Sarkar's Mardaani, says, "Rani is working extremely hard" for her role of a tough cop. Rani apparently aims to lose almost 10 kg for the role.
4. Kangana Ranaut Rakesh Roshan, who directed Kangana is Krissh 3 says, "We made sure she was properly trained before she started shooting." In another upcoming film, Revolver Rani, Kangana is supposed to look unattractive. The actor will sport prosthetic scars and a crooked nose. She also underwent training to use revolvers properly.
5. Priyanka Chopra The action she will be seen doing is of a different kind. To play pugilist Mary Kom, Priyanka has been undergoing rigorous physical training, and is having to work on her stamina and strength. Jaura is again Priyanka's trainer for the film.