Mumbai, Aug. 20 -- After tasting success at the box office, the decision to make a sequel doesn't take much time. But, the plans rarely materialise.
Recently, film-maker Karan Johar mentioned that the sequel to Dostana 2 will happen later. Here, we take a look at the status of films that were supposed to have a sequel.
Sujoy Ghosh had declared that he would make a sequel to Kahaani (2012) after it achieved both commercial as well as critical acclaim. However, reports stated that Sujoy had a fallout with the producer, and the sequel was getting delayed. And now, producer Jayantilal Gada tells us that the sequel is not being made.
"The production house and the director have equal rights to the film, and we are not making Kahaani 2," he says.
Last year, the makers of Mr. India (1987) had announced a sequel to the film, and apparently Arjun Kapoor was supposed to play the lead. Recently, Arjun revealed in an interview that there is no such plan yet. "There is no director or script, it's just a thought. There is no concrete plan to execute," Arjun said.
The third part of Rajkumar Hirani's Munna Bhai franchise doesn't seem to be taking off soon with Sanjay Dutt away from the industry for a while now. Trade analyst Amod Mehra says, "Raju Hirani had only once announced Munna Bhai Chale America, and then he shelved it. Neither he nor his office said that he is making Munna Bhai 3."
When asked why these films are announced without any concrete plan, Mehra reveals, "Sometimes it's done to keep the financers aware that they are making a film, and they have some stars on board. The announcements are mostly from the press. Has Boney Kapoor issued a press release that he is making Mr. India?
No. Has Rohit Shetty said that he is making Golmaal 4? No." However, the sequel of No Entry (2005) may finally see the light of the day, as the makers are set to start work on it next year. "We will start the film on January 15, and Salman (Khan) has already given dates," says director Anees Bazmee.