By IndiaFM News Bureau
If one had to put Abhishek and Aishwarya’s story together it would make a perfect script full of surprises, action, and betrayal and of course, a happy ending. Here’s a chronological run down on the utterly romantic story.
* Abhishek and Aishwarya first met each other on the sets of Dhai Akshar Prem Ke directed by Raj Kanwar six years ago. They got along fabulously with each other, and even if they were attracted they wouldn’t show it because they were in separate relationships. Aishwarya was dating Salman and Abhishek was dating Karisma.
* But destiny played cupid and brought them together again in Rohan Sippy’s Kuch Naa Kaho, just when things started warming up between the two. Aishwarya’s then boyfriend Salman went on a rampage on the sets of Shahrukh Khan’s Chalte Chalte breaking everything that came his way. Unfortunately Kuch Na Kaho too bombed at the box office and once again Ash and Abhishek went their own ways.
* After a heated drama Aishwarya breaks all ties with Salman and starts dating her co-star of Kyun Ho Gaya Na? – Vivek Oberoi. Even during this phase Ash kept in touch with Abhishek.
* Ash and Abhi continued being good friends. The flipside of this friendship… well you guessed it right, love of course!, With three consecutive films Umrao Jaan, Dhoom 2 and Guru, they got loads of quality time to spend with each other and eventually love bloomed between the two. Of course Ash reciprocated his feelings but not before trampling on Vivek’s by just sending him a mere SMS.
* And thus started a long saga of rumours Are they dating? Are they married? Is this just a mere promotional gimmick for their films? and so on
* It all began with an alleged visit by Abhishek’s uncle, Ajitabh, to Ash’s family astrologer, Chandrashekar Swami, in Bangalore. The venerable Swami, on his part, ratted out details like “Kundali milgayi” (the horoscopes match).
* Both families made a series of denials, but alas the story was out in the open
* Then came a few hiccups in the story Aishwarya’s mangal dosh and her infamous kiss in Dhoom 2 which reportedly did not go too well with the Bachchans .The mangal dosh was rectified by several visits to temples right from goddess Meenashi of Madhurai to Ajmer dargha. The kissing tale – well the Bachchans forgave their soon to be bahu and hushed up the matter, so all’s well that ends well.
* And now the climax of the story Abhishek proposes to Aishwarya in New York, just after the premiere of Guru. FINALLY they are talking!! With a small ceremony and a few selected friends and family the couple gets engaged with the blessings of their family on the festive occasion of January 14, Makar Sankranti.
Do you know Aishwarya and Abhishek well?
* Abhishek Bachchan is almost 3 years younger to Aishwarya Rai. Aishwarya is 1973 born while Abhishek is 1976 born.
* All the 3 films in which Aishwarya and Abhishek were paired together – Dhai Akshar Prem Ke, Kuch Na Kaho, Umrao Jaan did not work at the box office. Ironically, the couple that hit it off-screen like fire was blamed of poor onscreen chemistry.
* The other two films were they worked together – Dhoom 2 and Bunty Aur Babli were big hits. But in both these films they weren’t paired together. In Dhoom 2 Aishwarya was paired opposite Hrithik Roshan and in Bunty Aur Babli she just appeared in one item number ‘Kajrare Kajrare’ which also starred Amitabh Bachchan.
* The duo will come together again in Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar 2 and Karan Johar’s next production which will be directed by Tarun Mansukhani. Sarkar 2 will be a Bachchan family reunion of sorts – what with Abhishek and Aishwarya coming together with Amitabh Bachchan.
* The duo could have been seen together in more films if it weren’t for date problems. Aishwarya was initially offered the role opposite Abhishek in Bluffmaster. But when she couldn’t do the film, it went to Priyanka Chopra. Coincidentally, Priyanka Chopra lost out the role of Umrao Jaan to Aishwarya.
* Aishwarya worked with Abhishek's mentor, J.P.Dutta in Umrao Jaan where Abhishek supported the central character of Ash. Abhishek worked with Aishwarya’s mentor Mani Ratnam in Guru where Aishwarya supported the title character of Abhishek.
* Aishwarya has earlier dated Salman Khan and Vivek Oberoi. Abhishek Bachchan dated Karisma Kapoor and was also engaged to her for a brief period before the engagement was called off.
* Aishwarya was seen in two onscreen smooches. The first one was with Vivek Oberoi in Kyun? Ho Gaya Na! Incidentally that film starred Amitabh Bachchan. The second one was with Hrithik Roshan in Dhoom 2. Interestingly Dhoom 2 also starred Abhishek but Aishwarya was paired opposite Hrithik. Abhishek too has had his share of onscreen liplocks with Lara Dutta in Mumbai Se Aaya Mera Dost and Antra Mali in Naach.
* Not many know that Abhishek, Aishwarya and Salman Khan starred in one film. It was Raj Kanwar’s Dhai Akshar Prem Ke. Salman, however, didn’t have any scene with Aishwarya. He just appeared in a cameo as a truck driver who gives lift to Abhishek Bachchan.